Time: Tuesdays, May 7 & 21st from 5:30-7pm
Join our monthly Tuesday night hat club and become a master habberdasher! There is a hat for every head, and most hats can be modified to fit just the way you like, so take the plunge and whip up a toque, tam, beanie, or bonnet!
May’s hat pattern is Dipyramid, originally featured in the Winter 2017, #23 issue of Pom Pom Magazine, by Emily Green. This two-color, sized beanie features a deep ribbed brim, optional pompom, and mosaic colorwork – great for those eager to dip their toes into the colorwork pool, but too nervous to cannonball into fair-isle. Only one color is worked at a time, so no need to worry about tension for stranding! It calls for three skeins of Brooklyn Tweed Arbor (two of the primary, and one of the contrast color), which will let you complete any of the four sizes (XS – L) plus the pompom. If selecting a different yarn, choose two colors of solid or semi-solid DK-weight. Pick colors with a medium or strong contrast for best effect, and please ask in the shop for help if you aren’t sure how. Bonus: Jen will teach you her favorite tubular cast on!
Bonus: Jen will teach you her favorite tubular cast-on method using a long circular needle and Judy’s Magic Cast On, which also works when a provisional cast on is needed!
- Dipyramid available on Ravelry or in the shop. Also available in Issue 23 of Pom Pom Quarterly.
- 2 skeins of the main color and 1 skein of the contrast color in Brooklyn Tweed Arbor, or approximately 260-290 yards of the main color, and 75-90 yards of the contrast color, solid or semi-solid DK-weight yarn
- US 2 (2.75 mm) 16″ circular needle for brim
- US 3 (3.5 mm) 16″ circular needle for body
- Set of US 3 (3.5 mm) double-pointed needles or longer US 3 for magic loop
- Optional for first session: US 3 (3.5 mm) 32 or 40″ circular needle, for tubular cast on
- Optional for the second session: Pompom maker for a 2-3″ diameter pom, or two pieces of plain cardboard and scissors, plus approximately one yard strong cotton or silk yarn or string
Casting on, knitting in the round
Instructor: Jen Albert
Venue: Fancywork Yarn Shop