Note: This is a five-session class.
Time: Wednesdays, October 2, 9, 16, 23 & 30 from 5-7pm all days
Level: Advanced Beginner
If you have ever completed any kind of knitting project (meaning you can cast on, bind off, knit, and purl), you can complete this sweater! We’re using Flax, by Tin Can Knits, to teach you the basics of top-down sweater knitting. This pattern is sized from newborn to 4XL and is knit in worsted to aran weight yarn. Our yarn recommendations include Brooklyn Tweed Shelter, Malabrigo Rios, Cestari Mt. Vernon or Natural Collection, and Blue Sky Woolstok.
In the first session, we’ll take measurements, discuss the importance of gauge, the nature of ease, how best to swatch, reading a pattern, and modifying to make it work for your knitting. Please wear a t-shirt or other layer you plan to wear beneath the sweater to the first session. We’ll also discuss sizing for other people, to help you better knit for others. In the second session, we’ll measure our swatches, pick a size to knit based on gauge and our measurements, and cast on. Sessions three and four will focus on fixing any problems encountered while knitting: keeping track of where you are in the pattern, correcting your stitches, adding or removing length, and other customizations for the very best fit. In the fifth and final session, we’ll cover casting off, weaving in ends, blocking, and caring for your new garment, as well as review what we learned to help us knit our next sweater!
- Yarn: Brooklyn Tweed Shelter, Malabrigo Rios, Cestari Mt Vernon or Natural Collection, or Blue Sky Woolstok, in the yardage called for based on the size you desire to make, PLUS one extra skein. (If you don’t wind and don’t use that extra skein, you can return it for store credit, but it is better to have a spare and not need it than to need it and not have it!)
- Needles: US 6 and US 8 needles
- Sizes 0 – 4 yrs: 16-inch circulars and double-pointed needles in each size
- Sizes 4 yrs – XS: 16 and 24-inch circulars (or interchangeable needles), and double-pointed needles (or 9-inch circulars) in each size
- Sizes S – 4XL: 16 and 32-inch circulars (or interchangeable needles), and double-pointed needles (or 9-inch circulars) in each size
- Pattern: Flax by Tin Can Knits. Free on Ravelry or $1 in the shop.
- Misc.: highlighter tape or other way to track progress in the pattern, a pen, measuring tape, stitch markers, tapestry needle, scissors
Pre-Requisite Skills: Students should be able to cast on, bind off, knit, purl, and reading a basic pattern
Instructor: Jen Albert
A friendly note about parking: In consideration of our good neighbors, we ask that, if you are able, please park on the surrounding streets if you plan to be in the shop for an extended period of time. We appreciate your consideration.
Venue: Fancywork Yarn Shop